There are a lot of benefits to living in a mobile or prefabricated home, but unfortunately, installing rooftop solar panels is not one of them. Due to the structural stability of these types of homes and complicated permitting requirements, you can not put solar panels on your mobile home. If you have enough space for a ground-mounted solar system on your property, however, you might be able to go solar living in a prefab or mobile home.
Why Can’t You Install Rooftop Solar Panels on a Mobile Home?
There are two main reasons why rooftop solar panels are not an option for most mobile and prefabricated homes in California:
- Structural Stability: Because of the way they are built, mobile homes do not typically have the foundational support or roof strength to withstand the weight of a PV system.
- Permitting: Rooftop solar permitting for mobile homes is a lengthy and complicated process that does not always result in a permit. In many cases, building code prevents mobile homeowners from installing rooftop solar.
Ground-Mounted Solar Panels are an Option for Mobile Homes
If you have your heart set on solar but you live in a mobile home, there is another option—ground-mounted solar panels. These are the best solar panels for mobile homes because they are not installed on the roof and do not rely on the home’s structure for support. You will need a decent amount of open yard space available if you want to install ground-mounted solar panels for your home, but if you have the space, they are a great option.
Other Ways to Save on Energy Costs at Your Mobile Home
Even if you can’t install solar panels, there are other ways to save money on energy costs at your mobile home. Improving your manufactured home’s energy efficiency will help reduce energy loss, leading to lower bills. Some of the best ways to improve your mobile home’s energy efficiency include:
- Having your HVAC equipment tuned-up
- Sealing your ducts
- Installing energy efficient windows and doors
- Sealing air leaks with caulk and/or spray foam
- Adding insulation to the walls
- Installing a belly wrap
- Installing insulated skirting
There are also many simple, cost-effective ways to save energy at your mobile home. Replacing old light bulbs with LED bulbs, using energy-saving power strips, and hanging insulated window coverings can all help reduce energy usage and save you money.
Learn More About Solar Installation on the North Coast
Six Rivers Solar has been the North Coast’s leader in renewable energy for over 40 years. We are a 100% locally owned and operated solar provider near you installing custom solar panel and battery storage solutions for homeowners in Humboldt and Tri-County. If you’re interested in ground-mounted solar for your mobile or manufactured home, give us a call today! We would be happy to talk to you about your options and help you make the best choice for your home.